On Dec 31, 2003, at 12:32 PM, Max Horn wrote:

Am 31.12.2003 um 21:00 schrieb Martin Costabel:

Ben Hines wrote:
On Dec 22, 2003, at 4:50 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:
[]
I am dreaming of a mechanism that would remove a BuilDependsOnly package immediately after it is used. This would not only solve this problem, but also come in handy in other situations (it would help with the freetype2 mess, for example).
That is planned.

It is??? Did you folks really think this through? I'd be curious to learn how that should be doable, see below...

Yes, it is absolutely doable and yes, i have thought it through. Have you? In fact thesin has already begun to implement it. It basically requires redoing the whole dep search after each build.

By planned i mean we plan to do it. Yes it is hard. No we have not figured out exactly the best way to do it, etc... No need to be acting like a dick again Max, all I said was "That is planned"

I have been thinking about this some more, and I would now like to propose this seriously as a solution for several problems that were biting us recently. The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that we will *have to* do this.

Here is the proposal:

1. Allow the packages that have "BuildDependsOnly: true" (short: "buildonly" packages) to Depend on other buildonly packages

2. Introduce a "reaper" that removes *all* buildonly packages. The reaper has to run every time before fink starts a package build process.

Doesn't sound like a good idea. Many people (including me) who actually use fink packages for development would be very unhappy about this. I need a lot of our buildonly packages (e.g. -dev package with header files). Having to manually reinstall them whenever I use fink to install something would be a nightmare (and essentially make fink useless).

You wouldn't, dude. It'd be optional and you'd be able to hold certain packages of course. These are obvious problems which I immediately considered. I am also a developer/

-Ben