On 21 Feb 2005, at 02:51, David R. Morrison wrote:

Sorry to be so slow to respond here: I've only just begun to track down what's happening.

When I compile this, I have no problem because the python setup script does not find a value for DISPLAY in the environment, and so reports "cannot test gtk [no DISPLAY]". My first guess was that this is because I compile in Terminal.app rather than in an xterm window, but even when I tried in an xterm window I got the same result.

I'm using the terminal too for compilation, I've never seen any problems from that, at least i don't think so.

Be that as it may, it looks like pybliographer may want the pygtk2-py23 package (and presumably also the pygtk2-py23-dev package). Do you have those installed? Does the situation improve if you install them?

After resetting to 2.3 I already had pygtk2-py23 installed, but not the dev package. After installing pygtk2-py23-dev as well. it still finds /usr/bin/python. Is there an easy way to switch between python 2.3 and 2.4?

Don

-- Dave

Am I correct in thinking that this means it is trying to use python form /usr/bin, see line Python='/usr/bin/python' and
configure:1659: found /usr/bin/python
configure:1672: result: /usr/bin/python
configure:1688: checking python requirements
configure:1715: result: no
configure:1717: error: error in python modules dependencies: No module named pygtk
in the above ??? If so, no wonder it can't find pygtk on my system.

Right--that' would indeed do it. You should check whether the configure file will take an argument like --with-python=/sw/bin .

--AH

Thanks for looking at the problems.

Don

Professor Don McKenzie Paul                                     tel:  024 76
523603
Department of Physics                                           fax: 024 76
692016
University of Warwick                           email :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Coventry CV4 7AL
UK