Here's my take on this licensing issue, for what it's worth.

I think we should explicitly indicate that authors of .info files are
*contributing* those files to the fink project when they submit them for
inclusion in the fink trees.  As contributed parts of the whole, these
files may be modified by others working on fink, and will be distributed
along with fink and under the same license conditions as fink itself

When I started the thread, though, I was trying to draw a distinction for
the .patch files.  I'd still like to see us make that distinction, because
I would like everyone to feel free to borrow our patch files for their
own use.  In that spirit, it makes sense to me that we would say that the
patch files inherited the same license their project was released under.

As far as retroactively doing this, it seems pretty clear to me (after this
discussion) that we cannot do so.  So, if there is general agreement
about how to proceed, we'll declare that all .info and .patch files
submitted after a certain date will be subject to the above contribution
and licensing conditions.  I'm afraid we'll just have to leave the ambiguity
in place concerning older contributions, because I can't see anyone finding
the time to chase down permissions from authors.  (And if you've got that
much time, I've got some better projects for you to work on!)

  -- Dave