On Nov 8, 2005, at 3:21 PM, Alexander K. Hansen wrote:

The primary question isn't "Do you know how to commit to CVS?" (though
that's definitely an asset!), but rather "Do you know enough about
Fink and how it works so that the packages you commit will generally
be reliable?"

Agreed. But how do I go about proving that I meet this description? It seems very subjective. (What does "generally reliable" mean?)

Perhaps some kind of objective qualification should be defined. For instance: "Must be the maintainer of at least 5 packages and must have submitted at least 10 packages to the tracker that were successfully validated by a core developer." If a developer meets that description, then he or she can then request CVS access. It may be arbitrary, but at least it would be formally defined, and it would lower the barrier of entry while still being restrictive enough, allowing more developers to help out with commits.

Here's another proposal: Open up the unstable branches to more developers while keeping the stable branches closed to everyone but core developers. (Unfortunately, this may not even be possible with SourceForge's CVS system.)

Trevor