David R. Morrison wrote:
[]
This strikes me as very strange. I've just been looking over my checkouts from the old CVS server, and I can't find the string '/cvsroot/fink/' (with or without leading and/or trailing slashes) in any of the CVS/Repository files. Moreover, my understanding of the cvs checkout projects suggests that they shouldn't be there.

Well, I just looked at a not yet converted fink checkout.

Result:
275 CVS/Repository files
171 have a path starting with /cvsroot/fink/
104 don't.

This is indeed very strange and I don't yet see a clear system behind it. The entire dists/10.4-transitional tree has /cvsroot, the entire dists/10.4 tree doesn't, in the other trees there are some directories that do and some that don't, for example

$ cat 10.3/*stable/CVS/Repository
dists/10.3/stable
/cvsroot/fink/dists/10.3/unstable

What has changed is that apparently this chaotic mixture of absolute and relative pathnames had been accepted until now, but is not accepted any more. Or maybe it is? I did another test just now, adding /cvsroot/fink/, and did not get any "move out of the way" error message. But I am sure I got them yesterday and they only went away when I changed the Repository paths. I still have the terminal output showing them, for example

cvs update: move away 10.3/apt.info; it is in the way
C 10.3/apt.info

This is also weird, because there is and was no 10.3/apt.info.
My suspicion is that the SF guys still hadn't quite finished their new system, and absolute path names got a wrong translation.

In any case, the perl -pie I suggested does no harm if the /cvsroot/fink is already absent. But I am now not sure it is needed.