On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 02:27:38PM -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
>     Would it be possible to somehow modify fink to handle the following
> case. When I created the openmpi package and modified the lammpi to
> co-exist with it, I ran into a limitation of fink. If a user has
> already installed the previous lammpi package and directly tries to
> install the new openmpi package, the installation will fail because
> of conflicting files between lammpi and openmpi. If they had done
> a 'fink selfupdate' and 'fink update-all', the previously installed
> lammpi is upgraded and the conflict doesn't exist when openmpi is
> installed.
>     What I think fink needs is a Depends_If_Installed variable that
> would allow one to make conditional depends. So for openmpi, I could
> have added...
>
> Depends_If_Installed: lammpi (>= 7.1.2-1000)
>
> so that I don't force lammpi to be installed but if present
> I force it to be upgraded to the newer version before openmpi
> can be installed. I would think other fink maintainers would
> find this useful as well.

Is an interesting idea, and I do know other packages that would
benefit. What I'e usually done in these cases is:

  Conflicts: lammpi (< 7.1.2-1000)

I'm not sure fink (or even dpkg and apt themselves) are smart enough
to figure out the correct ordering when asked to install both, but at
even if not, the error message is clearer. Instead of "lammpi is
installed, you're trying to install openmpi and they collide", it's
something like "you have lammpi-7.1.2-1 and are trying to install
something that conflicts with that version of it." That might lead
user to look at upgrading his lammpi version (which solves the
problem) instead of having no clue how to go about solving the conflict.

dan

--
Daniel Macks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]