On Jul 19, 2006, at 2:27 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:

>     Would it be possible to somehow modify fink to handle the
> following
> case. When I created the openmpi package and modified the lammpi to
> co-exist with it, I ran into a limitation of fink. If a user has
> already installed the previous lammpi package and directly tries to
> install the new openmpi package, the installation will fail because
> of conflicting files between lammpi and openmpi.

Another possible solution, which may or may not be OK depending on
the nature of the files being replaced is to add:

Replaces: lammpi (<= some.version)

to the new openmpi package.

A "Replaces" directive *without* the corresponding "Conflicts"
directive allows files to be overwritten during installation.  That
is, the file with the same name and location from the openmpi package
will overwrite the one previously installed by the (old) lammpi
package.  If that's not a bad thing for users, this could be a
workaround.

(Note that the behavior is different if both "Conflicts" and
"Replaces" are present: in that case, the old lammpi package would be
completely removed in favor of the new openmpi package.  This one
only works if nothing else depends on  lammpi, because lammpi can't
be removed if things depend on it.)

   -- Dave