On Jul 20, 2006, at 2:52 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:

> Dave,
>     I understand  how shared libraries are linked and acutely
> aware that the dpkg/apt-get in fink is brain-dead in regard to
> providing the appropriate shared library dependency information
> compared to Debian.

On the contrary.  Darwin/OS X has inherently MORE information, as I
tried to explain.  The runtime library loader, ld, will break if we
don't respect that information.

> The reason that the lammpi shared libraries
> are moved is to duplicate the approach that Fedora Core 5
> has taken to allow lammpi and openmpi to co-exist. These two
> MPI implementations both have libmpi shared libraries.

> Hence Fedora moving both packages
> shared libraries into subdirectories in /usr/lib.

Sounds like a good rationale.  But we need to implement the
*transition* to the new system in the fink way.  The fink system is
designed to prevent upgrade problems for users, but it can only work
if all fink package maintainers agree to play by the rules.

>    If forced, I'll fork off a lammpi2 package rather then
> messing around with the libmpi shared library creation.
> However, considering the few packages that use lammpi
> it seems silly to fork off a lam2. Especially since we
> aren't talking about a major sover change (which would
> be the normal reason for creating a new package name).

As I explained carefully in my last message, on Darwin/OS X or any
Mach-O based system, changing the installation path is just as
drastic, in terms of its effect on the runtime linker, as changing
the library itself.  That's why we must create a new package.

> ps If lammpi2 is forked off of the lammpi package, all packages
> using lammpi will just be changed to use the lammpi2 only
> and basically the old lammpi will be orphaned. It will exist
> but nothing will be present in fink that builds against it.

Right.  The point is, nothing will BUILD against it, but non-upgraded
things will still RUN against it.  It is for the purpose of not
breaking things at runtime for users that we insist on not moving
shared libraries.  Period.

Notice that it will be completely harmless to leave the old shared
libraries in their original locations.  They won't interfere with the
installation locations of either of the new libraries.  But, and this
is crucial, they will allow previously-installed software to continue
to run until such time as it is upgraded.

I'll be happy to help you construct lammpi and lammpi2 packages which
meet fink's requirements, if needed.

   -- Dave