Neil Tiffin wrote:
[]
one. In adiition, if writing a /etc/sysctl.conf will not work (and that seems to be the consensus) then fink should write a message stating this.

Yes, I agree. I am convinced this whole section of the
postgresql package with its allusion to /etc/sysctl.conf is wrong. If
the higher values of the shm stuff are really needed, then the package
should give instructions to the user how to modify /etc/rc (together
with stern warnings about the dangers of doing so.)

In any case, the package's assumption that users who have
/etc/sysctl.conf "know what they are doing", already was wrong as I can
testify: I found out that I do have such a file, quite without me
knowing about it. It was installed by some Apple-supplied little
broadband-access-tuning package.