Begin forwarded message:

From: "David R. Morrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: January 30, 2006 11:15:15 AM PST
To: BuildSmart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Fink-devel] unsupported 10.4.4 and G5 Quad requires fink modification.

On Jan 29, 2006, at 12:10 PM, BuildSmart wrote:

On Jan 29, 2006, at 10:51 , Chris Zubrzycki wrote:

On Jan 29, 2006, at 10:27 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:

BuildSmart wrote:
[]
My installed Apple perl is 5.8.7
mustangrestomods:~ websrvr$ perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 7) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=darwin, osvers=8.4, archname=darwin-thread-multi-2level
    uname='darwin mustangrestomods.com 8.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.4.0: Tue Jan  3 18:22:10 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.6.56.obj~2/release_ppc power macintosh powerpc '

This uname looks as if your Perl was built by you or by someone at your place on Jan 3. Is this really /usr/bin/perl or some /usr/local/bin/perl?

If it is /usr/bin/perl, why would you replace apple's supplied perl? /usr is only for the system software maker. /usr/local, /opt/ and others are for the local admins.

I see, so you are now assuming I changed it and that it didn't come on the install media.

The machine is 3 days old, nothing has been replaced, everything installed is from the Government/Corporate install media.

In that case, it sounds like whoever created your Government/Corporate install media replaced the perl 5.8.6 that was supplied by Apple with a newer perl 5.8.7.  You should contact those people and explain to them that their action has made it impossible to use fink on the machine.

Fink supports machines on which the Apple-supplied software has not been modified.  We don't have the resources to support other configurations.  (Although I suppose that if your Corporate IT group that modified Apple's software wants to hire a member of the fink team to expand fink in this way, it could happen!)

  -- Dave