On Oct 16, 2006, at 1:34 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> David Reiser wrote:
>> ktoblzcheck, a library to verify German bank number/account
>> number  pairs, comes with the most recent data set available from
>> the German  banking system.
>> Recent versions of ktoblzcheck also have a perl script (well, 2
>> actually, but one calls the other) that can download newer
>> versions  of the dataset over the net and update the installed
>> version. The  problem is that the script leaves behind the backup
>> of the original  data and the unmodified version of the downloaded
>> update data. So, if  one were to remove ktoblzcheck with fink
>> after doing an update, fink  notifies the user that /sw/share/
>> ktoblzcheck can't be removed because  it isn't empty.
> []
>> Is there an easy way to avoid installing individual built files?
>> I'm  not too keen on trying to patch configure.in or some makefiles.
>
> I'll answer a different question from what clepple and drm did: I
> understand you worry about files created by the user *after* the
> installation.
>
> There are many packages that are doing this. For example, xemacs
> has its own package manager for add-on packages. If you run this,
> there will be files in /sw/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/ that fink
> has never heard about, and they will not be removed when you remove
> the Fink xemacs packages. Many other packages have user-modifiable
> configuration files that live inside  /sw/, and there is even a
> mechanism that lets fink (via dpkg) not remove them when the
> package is removed. Other packages create their runtime files
> inside /sw/var/ where they are usually left behind when the package
> is removed.
>
> In short, if you are concerned about runtime products left behind
> and not controlled by the package manager, I would suggest not to
> worry.
>
> If you really want to remove these files when the ktoblzcheck
> package is removed, you can do it in a PreRmScript.

Thank you for the suggestion. (Thanks to drm and clepple, too, as I
needed to learn that stuff, too) PreRmScript is closer to what I had
in mind, but didn't quite know what to ask for. It did have me
tearing my hair, muttering, and cursing for a couple hours tonight
because I had an error in the script and couldn't remove the package
until I found the script in /sw/var/...

> --
> Martin

Dave