Asko Kauppi wrote:
> Wouldn't this be way too privacy-infringing?
>
> I would personally draw the line to:
>     - don't send anything identifying the user (no email ids etc.)
>     - don't send anything about his/her environment (that would be
> potentially identifying, too)

This would absolutely be opt-in, and yes, I agree that sending the
user's environment is not necessary (Fink cleans the environment when
doing builds anyways, so it should be pretty sanitary to send the
environment used to build...)

> We all know there's plenty of privacy-concerned people out on the
> net, and fink 'calling home' could be easily scandalized at slashdot,
> osnews etc.  Since normally commercial tools are known to do such.
> Why take risks?

Like I said, it definitely should not do it by default; perhaps a
question during "fink configure" ("Would you like to send build results
to the Fink development team to help them respond to build issues? [y/N]")

> Would not mind having a user feedback channel, either but the
> packaging already carries the email addresses. I think I've gotten 0
> mail through them, though. :)  Guess that means all is good?

perhaps...  I maintain KDE which has, as far as I can guess, hundreds of
users, but I get maybe an e-mail every 3 weeks about it.  Feedback is
pretty rare, that's one of the reasons something like this would be
really helpful in getting things fixed and getting them to stable.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick
Fink, KDE, and Mac OS X development