On 12/4/06, Benjamin Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I want to provide build pass/fail statistics auto-uploaded when
> building, but also providing hooks to report usage would be nice too,
> although more annoyingly invasive (and difficult to implement without
> wrapping all binaries...)

Rather than wrapping the binaries, we could settle for determining how
recently a given binary has been used (this is what the Debian popcon
package does). In addition to submitting binary package statistics to
their server, the popcon package helps the user prune old packages by
determining which packages are "unused" (based on stat() atime) and
sorting the unused package list by largest first.

This usage check is probably best scheduled as a background job, and
statistics could be pushed to a server at selfupdate time.

Since Fink has a somewhat different set of usage statistics to
collect, it might be better just to borrow some ideas from popcon, and
write the rest into the fink perl code. That way, there is no need to
keep the popcon list of distributions in sync with the main fink
codebase, etc.

I would be willing to take a closer look at this, if someone else who
is more familiar with the internals of fink could point me towards the
right places to hook into the selfupdate routine and so forth.

--
- Charles Lepple