Blair Zajac wrote:
> We have a large number of PyQt apps on Linux for a special effect
> studio.  We use PyQt apps to manage a large render farm for special
> effects, examining artwork, playing back renders at high resolutions,
> and other apps for lighting and compositing, etc.
>
> More of our users are using Mac's and want the same tools on their Mac
> desktops, so we're starting to build the infrastructure to support them.
>
> Currently I'm using MacPorts since it provides a framework Python and Qt
> for Mac.  However, I'm finding the distribution of MacPorts packages to
> other hosts painful because it puts files in other places besides
> /opt/local and there is no easy way to dist out new packages to systems.
>   My current solution to disting out new packages to clients is ugly:
> deactivate all ports so that everything only lives in /opt/local, rsync
> any changes into /opt/local, then reactivate the ports.  Painful and
> during the upgrade, nothing that relies upon /opt/local will work.
>
> I could do this better, but in the end, the package management isn't as
> nice as dpkg and apt-get.
>
> So I want to use switch to Fink for apt-get and use an entire Fink tree.
>   However, Python is not a Framework build.  We can't use a X11 build
> since the performance for playback of renders is not good enough and the
> users are artists, not developers who would mind using X11.  We need the
> native playback speed at 24 frames per second.
>
> Reading some of the other comments on framework Python in the mailing
> list, one comment was that .apps and frameworks are meant to be
> relocatable.  I'm not interested in building applications where we can
> just relocate the entire Python tree.  We have a complicated set of
> Python modules with our own versioning system, so my vision is that
> /sw/bin/aqua-python will always be provided and all our custom module
> will live in a known location.  Any applications can have their
> Contents/MacOS/Appname be a shell script that just execs the framework
> python.
>
> I should also mention that all our Python code is written to Python 2.4,
> so we can't use the system's 2.3 Python.  Also with 2.5 out, we'd like
> to move to that for the increased performance.
>
> So several questions:
>
> 1) Would the Python maintainers be willing to take patches for a
> framework install?
>
> 2) Should this be done on the original python2?.info, or a separate
> Python package be built, maybe that just installs the files that are new
> on top of the python2?.info file.  Ideally, the Framework install would
> leverage the non-Framework install.
>
> 3) Would it be possible to add the --enable-frameworks to the build?  I
> presume this will break everything, otherwise it would have been done?
> Could we add symlinks from the framework build back to the non-framework
> build to support this?
>
> Any suggestions would help.  I would like to see Fink grow the ability
> to run Aqua PyQt or PyWxWidgets apps.

> [...]
Blair:  Speaking as the fink python  maintainer, ff the fink python
package could be converted to a framework install without too much
breakage, I'm all for that.  I haven't thought about all the issues, but
I think it's worth exploring.

One that occurs to me right off the bat is what do we do with the
Tkinter module - keep using the X11 version, use the aqua version, or
try to have both?

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449