On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 08:39:53PM -0700, David R. Morrison wrote:
> On May 6, 2007, at 9:09 AM, Remi Mommsen wrote:
> >
> > I have a package (root5) which builds many shlibs and has different
> > variants. Depending on the variant, some shlibs are built or not
[...]
> > How do I handle this situation?
>
> I haven't looked at the package to see what your variant structure
> is, but presumably there is some core collection of dylib files which
> are built for all variants, and then some extra ones which only occur
> in some variants?

A further question is whether the dylib that are exist in all are
*the same* in all. That's important for drm's Idea #2:

> 2) A basic package would provide the dylibs that are in common for
> all variants, and then the variant packages would build other
> splitoffs with other dylibs in them (as needed).  The disadvantage of
> this is that people may have to compile things twice.  You would
> probably also need separate .info files.

If a dylib file that exists in multiple variants is not the same in
all of them, then a core package plus varianted add-ons won't
work. OTOH, if the core dylib are identical in all variants, then one
probably could hack the build to avoid building those core again in
the variant add-on packages. Quick example would be the python
bindings for gnome-menus: the shared libraries and python bindings are
all part of the same source tarball and is designed so a single
"./configure && make" builds it all, so we first build the libs with
python disabled, and then, in a separate package, build *just* the
python bindings for a given python variant by hacking to point to the
installed lib instead of the one in the build dir.

dan

--
Daniel Macks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]