Hi folks,

Just a quick note to let you know how much I appreciate all the hard
work done by all the fink devs, maintainers, documenters and coffee
wranglers (if there are any).  I am a graduate student in
engineering.  Thanks to your hard work, I do not need to sit endless
hours in the university computer lab running a variety of open-source
technical applications, I can sit a few less hours on my couch
running my coursework and grad research on my laptop with my dog
snoring on the floor.  It has made this round of grad research
pleasant compared to the last.  While I can handle the "make, make
install" mantra, having it all in fink means I don't have to bash my
head against the wall while installing (say) Gnuplot or gfortran.  I
can save those head bashes for constructing a molecular dynamics
simulation, and I hope to use that time saved to add incremental
knowledge in polymers from plants.  My goal is to understand how to
substitute bio-derived polymers for petroleum based plastics, improve
their durability and material properties so someday we can carry
lightweight bio-polymer iPods, use biodegradable packaging and have
better kidney dialysis when needed, and (my specific area of
research) better ultra-filtration membranes to separate therapeutic
proteins.

So while you rarely hear from the people who benefit from your work,
I wanted you to know, that I appreciate your hard work, and give you
a glimpse of why your hard work and open-source software is so
valuable.  Thanks again while you wrestle with the curveballs Leopard
has thrown you.

SIncerely
Jane O'Dell
Graduate Student
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Biological Systems Engineering