Daniel Johnson wrote:
[]
> I wonder if it's actually the xorg build system that is at fault here
> rather than Apple. The macosforge package does the same thing. Of
> course, if Apple had just included the updated .la file this wouldn't be
> an issue. In any case, the results are headaches for Fink
> users/maintainers. Thanks Apple!

In the X11 parts, the quality control is particularly low, but the
symlink weirdness is not restricted to it (the lib*.la files are perhaps
a little weirder in X11 than elsewhere).

If you look into /usr/lib/, you see a colorful mixture of examples for
both variants (compare /usr/lib/libiconv*dylib with
/sw/lib/libiconv*dylib, for instance), plus all sorts of hand-crafted
symlinks, with /usr/lib/libreadline.dylib as the famous lonely summit of
madness.