Just tested the long-awaited 0.9.0 installer for 10.5/intel.
The installation went smoothly, very fast. Good.

Then: "fink selfupdate". I was expecting to be asked which selfupdate
method to use. Didn't happen:

> costabel% fink selfupdate
> curl --connect-timeout 30 -f -L -A 'fink/0.27.13' -O
> http://www.finkproject.org/CURRENT-FINK-10.5
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
> Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
>   0    11    0    11    0     0     75      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
>
> You already have the package descriptions from the latest Fink point release.
> (installed:0.9.0 available:10.5-0.9.0)

OK, trying "fink selfupdate-rsync" directly:

> costabel% fink selfupdate-rsync
>
>  Please note: the command 'fink selfupdate' should be used for routine
> updating; you only need to use 'fink selfupdate-cvs' or
> 'fink selfupdate-rsync' if you are changing your update method.
>
> Failed: Sorry, fink doesn't support rsync updating in the 10.5 distribution
> at present.

What's the idea? Keeping the poor sods who use the 0.9.0 installer
locked in, so that the rest of Fink can move to the pangocairo branch
unperturbed? :-)