On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:06:19PM -0500, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On 1/7/10 7:50 PM, DJam? Seddah wrote:
> > Hi Augusto,
> >
> > thanks for the tip, it did the trick  but one thing which is just
> > killing me is why, why does fink need to recompile every single
> > package I want to install now that I got it updated ?
> > I just cannot understand why if the bug was known, the binary
> > distribution is still carrying the old fink ? Now, I have the feeling
> > on being in my first gentoo week...
> >
> > I know that fink is a communatary project with very few ressources and
> > it has to support I don't know how many configuration so i'm not going
> > to throw any stone to anyone of course, it's just that maybe things
> > shouldn't be that anal when it goes when updating fink  : No, not
> > everything has to be recompile because the wrapper was updated...
> >
> > even the -b doesn't change anything......
> >

> > Best anyway, enjoy your brasilian sun, we're freezing out here
> >
> > Djam?
> >

> You're free _not_ to use "update-all".  Fink will let you update
> packages (and their versioned dependencies) individually.  That's one
> way to keep from having to compile a bunch of stuff.
>
> One exception is that a selfupdate with rsync or cvs will force the base
> packages to update; there's not really a way around that.
>
> As for the bug:  I don't recall having seen a report of it, so perhaps
> nobody knew about it until now.

The "mc wants old libintl but misssing dependency on it" is old and is
(or at least was) well-known, along with the solution ("install
gettext"). We obviously can't fix the original binary installer, but
IIRC the dependency has been added in all updated distros a loooong
time ago. That's why fink provides live distros: we fix bugs as we
find them:)

dan

--
Daniel Macks