Hello,

> > The original package is named 'ipe6' because it builds shared libraries
> > as well (ipe6-shlibs).  I'd recommend making the library package
> > ipe7-shlibs for consistency, but you're welcome to call the main package
> > "ipe".
>
> More critically, what is the install_name of the library? If it is
> still libipe.1.dylib (same as ipe6) then package-name remains the
> same. If it changes, package-name must change. No clue why ipe_6_ was
> chosen for _1_.dylib, but now we're stuck with that for it, and you
> can make your own choice about what new package-name to use if that
> filename will be different.

ipe_6_ was chosen (I can only guess) because the program version was
6.0.something and referred to as ipe6. And actually separating the
shlibs out was done to follow the packaging rules, but I don't know if
anyone ever saw anything else than ipe use them ;-)

For consitstency, I chose to use libipe.7.dylib as install_name and so
ipe7-shlibs as corresponding package name. The actual software does not
really do anything about it (without a patch the install_name ends up
being ../../build/src/libipe.so.5.0.10 or something like that).

BTW, if ipe7-shlib is a splitoff of ipe, and there is an upgrade of ipe
upstream with a different major version, and I end up having ipe8-shlibs
as a splitoff of a new version of ipe, then nobody can build ipe7-shlibs
anymore, which sounds a little bad. So I will go for ipe7 as package
name.

Is it allowed to create a package 'ipe' which does nothing but depend on
ipe7 (and later on ipe8 in case of an upgrade), or are such things
reserved for developers higher in the food chain ? Or am I simply wrong
in wanting the package name to match the software name without a version
number attaached to it ?

Thanks for all your help,

  /v

--