Jack Howarth wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 09:46:51AM +0200, Martin Costabel wrote:
>> Jack Howarth wrote:
>> []
>>>    What I am considering is to add a gcc4X-bin
>>> split-off to all of the gcc4X packages which
>>> will contain all of the %/bin symlinks currently
>>> provided by the main gcc4X package.
>> Why do we neeed *any* of these executables directly in %p/bin?
>> They could as well live in some subdirectory of %p/lib, and if you want
>> to use them, you modify PATH correspondingly.
>
> Ease of use? Users already have to adapt to the using
> a different compiler name in some cases and now they
> have to invoke a new path as well?

In many cases, you don't even have to change PATH. Just use the full
name of the executable.

No sane person will remember for longer than 24 hours that 'gcc-4' is
Fink's gcc version 4.2.4 if gcc42 is installed or version 4.4.2 if gcc44
is installed, whereas 'gcc-4.2' is Apple's gcc version 4.2.1 and
'gcc-4.0' is Apple's gcc version 4.0.1, even if it is invoked as
'/sw/bin/gcc-4.0'.

So in any case you will have to look it up before using it either
manually or in a script or package. And I would claim that when you need
to look it up anyway before using it, it is only marginally more
complicated to use '%p/lib/gcc-4.4/bin/gcc' than 'gcc-4'.