On Mon, 2 May 2011 08:59:56 -0400, Jack Howarth

  wrote:
Daniel,
>    It seems like a chicken and the egg problem here with UseMaxBuildJobs.
> If the feature is considered entirely optional, it is difficult to
> rationalize
> using it in larger packages that beg to be built with parallel make whenever
> possible. Also, one can argue that there is inconsistent behavior currently
> in fink. If one does a clean installation from fink cvs, the UseMaxBuildJobs
> is automatically created in fink.conf for the user. I am only saying that
> this behavior should be extended to existing installations of fink when
> fink itself is upgraded as well. It is difficult to see how one can say
> it is okay to silently create UseMaxBuildJobs for a fresh install of fink
> without warning the user but that this is inappropriate for existing
> installations of fink. They should be treated identically regarding the
> autocreation of UseMaxBuildJobs in fink.conf.
>             Jack
> ps Ny view is that if the user objects to UseMaxBuildJobs, they could set
> it to 1 and, since UseMaxBuildJobs now exists, fink will never mess with
> UseMaxBuildJobs in fink.conf again. I am only worried about the fact that
> few if any users will expend the effort to discover this new option and
> manually create it themselves.

I was *only* addressing your proposal that "if use maxbuildjobs in
foo.info, require BDep on fink that supports it". The "same results
every time" mantra of fink applies to the compiled binary package. If
it takes the user 100x as long to get there, that doesn't matter
(whether a package "really wants" to go parallel is only a preference
for trying to help the user save himself time...*getting to the same
product*).

I agree that a fink upgrade to a version that supports a new preference
(especially one that requires opt-in and can be beneficial if selected)
should offer to set the new preference. For example, when fink-mirrors
is upgraded, the user is prompted to change mirror prefs and the prompt
even notes whether previously-chosen mirrors are no longer appropriate.

Behavior question: if a user chooses not to do parallel, is the pref
written to fink.conf? That is, by inspecting fink.conf, can fink
distinguish "never been prompted to choose parallel" vs "chose not to
parallel"?

dan

  --
Daniel Macks