Hanspeter,
   I would definitely make the default to install the UseMaxBuildJobs entry
in fink.conf and make it an opt out. Currently it is an opt in for developers
to use this feature. However if we create an additional threshold which
discourages
users from enabling features (because lots of them won't read the prompts but
will
CR through them), it is difficult to encourage developers to switch their
packages to this feature for parallel makes.

Daniel,
    With regard to disabling the feature, I don't see the problem with either
the non-default fink prompt to disable the feature adding a UseMaxBuildJobs=1
entry in fink.conf and then the mere existant of the UseMaxBuildJobs field
in fink.conf being sufficient for fink to never bother the user about it again.
I am mainly concerned that, if the creation of UseMaxBuildJobs is optional, lots
of users will inadvertently avoid creating it and thus hobble the builds of
large packages like gcc4x.
            Jack