On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:06:24AM +0200, Martin Costabel wrote:
> On 21/10/11 01:05, Jack Howarth wrote:
> []
>> should upgrade to this version (or revert to Xcode 3.2.6). This would allow
>> us to
>> focus on supporting clang in the Xcode 4.x releases and encourage
>> unification of
>> any clang specific changes to info files between the 10.4 and 10.6 trees. It
>> also
>> will likely accelerate the elimination of the unstable tree in 10.4 as any
>> clang
>> specific changes are backported into 10.4.
>
> The most common "clang specific changes to info files" are currently
> SetCC: llvm-gcc-4.2
> SetCXX: llvm-g++
> because many packages won't compile with clang.
> This is not backportable.
>
> --
> Martin

Martin,
   I am baffled by your comment "This is not backportable.". For those packages
which
aren't compatible with clang, we don't have to do anything at all. The presence
of...

SetCC: llvm-gcc-4.2
SetCXX: llvm-g++

will override the path-prefix-clang just as it does in fink 10.7. The info file
changes
that I am referring to are those clang specific fixes which are currently made
conditional by
the darwin version. These can be simply replaced by conditionals on the default
fink system compiler in use. Thus...

if test "$darwin_vers" -ge 11 ; then

...becomes...

if [ `gcc -v 2>&1 | grep -c clang` = "1" ]; then

and achieves the same effect. I really don't understand you resistance to
extending
path-prefix-clang to SL when Xcode 4.2 is installed. The SL Xcode 4.2
installation changes
the default system compiler to llvm-gcc which is an entirely untested
configuration for the
fink package set. At least my patch for fink has the advantage of leveraging
the changes
made for clang compatiblity in 10.7 and causes no problems for folks still on
Xcode 3.2.x/4.0.x.
Leaving breakage in place isn't really a good approach for fink users.
               Jack
ps I have already built x86_64 fink 10.6 with clang through to pymol-py27 with
only minor
info file corrections of the form above. Also, this is a chicken and the egg
problem as well
since these minor info file corrections aren't going to be made until fink uses
clang under
SL Xcode 4.2. We should just release a fink 0.31.4 with this feature and start
making these
minor modes to the 10.4 info files.