On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 09:01:58AM -0700, David R. Morrison wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 08:05:38AM -0700, David R. Morrison wrote:
> >> So at the very least, we should put a news item on the fink webpage
> >> warning users that fink on 10.6 is currently incompatible with Xcode 4.2,
> >> and suggesting a downgrade to Xcode 3.2.6.
> >>
> >> Another short-term measure would be to put a test into fink to check for
> >> Xcode 4.2 on 10.6, and warn users that they should downgrade.
> >>
> >> The question of how and whether to adapt the fink 10.6 release to
> >> accomodate this major change by apple is a more difficult one, and will
> >> require additional thought as well as time to implement.
> >>
> >>  -- Dave
> >
> > Dave,
> >   The change as implemented on
> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3426897&group_id=17203&atid=317203
> > will be transparent to current Fink users who aren't on 10.6 with Xcode
> > 4.2. The only change for Lion users will be
> > that the clang compiler wrappers will explictly pass the --arch x86_64
> > (which again should be a transparent change
> > and cause no issues).
> >    I been able to build...
>

> Lots of questions here, including:
> 1) Do things build differently?  One of our main design principles in fink is
> that things should build the same for everybody.
> 2) Any problem with mixing and matching, i.e., upgrading the compiler on an
> already-installed fink?
>
>   -- Dave

Dave,
   One other observation. Unlike previous common Xcode releases, we appear to
be particularly
lucky with the quality of Xcode 4.2 on SL. Comparing the clang releases on SL
and Lion...

Apple clang version 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.10.1) (based on LLVM 3.0svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0
Thread model: posix

Apple clang version 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.10.1) (based on LLVM 3.0svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.2.0
Thread model: posix

...they both are based on the same LLVM release and even have the same tags.
This strongly
suggests that there should be few omissions in the Xcode 4.2 SL release. So far
I have found
no issues with building packages under clang from Xcode 4.2 on SL compared to
Lion.
          Jack