On 7/26/12 5:02 AM, David Lowe wrote:
>       So i recently installed installed Fink on my wife's old Mini, and was
> rather surprised when the installer told me i could choose a 64 bit tree.
> This Mini has Core Solo processor and it won't accept Lion due to its only
> being capable of 32 bit operations.  Am i seeing things, or is our test too
> enthusiastic?
>
> sent from Lion
>
> Wash: "How did your brain even learn human speech?"

The test for 64-bit functionality uses the 'sysctl' command, so we're
using what _Apple_ reports for the machine. :-)

You can check this yourself by running:

sysctl hw.optional.x86_64
sysctl hw.optional.64bitops
sysctl hw.cpu64bit_capable

The current test rules that a machine is 64-bit capable if one of those
is set.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison