On 28/10/13 23:17, Alexander Hansen wrote:
> On 10/28/13 2:58 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:
>> I remember a discussion 2 months ago about dpkg producing en error
>>
>> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
>> tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
>> /sw/bin/dpkg-deb: subprocess tar returned error exit status 2
[]
> There's something weird going on with dpkg/tar/gettext.
>
> As an interim workaround, fink's calls to dpkg are wrapped setting
> environment variables LANG="C" and LC_ALL="C".

Indeed, 'env LANG=C dpkg' works correctly and does not produce the
errors, same as 'env LANG=en dpkg' or even 'env LANG=zh_HK.Big5HKSCS
dpkg'. I have to add that in my environment, LANG and LC_ALL are not set:

costabel% locale
LANG=
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_ALL=

The problem is in Fink's tar which does not work with compressed
archives if LANG is not set. I have not yet understood where exactly
hides the bug.