Altering the Trees: line just gives you access to unstable versions.  You
can still update from CVS without doing this--but you'll only see updates
to the stable tree.

Is there some reason you aren't just using 'fink selfupdate' or 'fink
selfupdate-cvs' to do the update, especially since the message the system
gives you says that you are set up for it?
 --
Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University