On 17/4/02 6:54 PM, "Zorro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> I do, and it works, but it seems I am missing something.
>>> Why the extra step?
>>
>> No extra step. You don't need the first step any more.
>
> The "first" step is updating the package manager via:
> cd tempdir
> cvs -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/fink login
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/fink co fink
> cd fink
> ./inject.pl
> and then only hereafter:
> cd tempdir/fink
> cvs -z3 update -d
> ./inject.pl

Sorry to butt in here, but...

If you are trying to update the package manager, it will be updated (when
there is an updated version available in CVS) automatically when running
'fink selfupdate-cvs'.

There is no need for a normal user to do the above steps that you mentioned.

>> And where does fink selfupdate-cvs come in?
>>
>> It replaces the cvs update + inject.pl in the packages directory, plus
>> it upgrades the base packages if it finds new versions.
> So, basically, do:
> make a tempdir... for simplicity's sake in /~
> cd tempdir
> cvs -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/fink login
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/fink co fink
> cd fink
> ./inject.pl
> and then only thereafter:
> cd tempdir/fink
> cvs -z3 update -d
> ./inject.pl
> Then just run:
> fink selfupdate-cvs
> INSTEAD OF:
> cd tempdir/packages
> cvs -z3 update -d
> ./inject.pl
> Is that right?
> Maybe
> Would that be so hard? To put on your web page?
> Maybe other fink-novice mac users would like to use fink.
> Forget the gui for now...update your documentation first.
> Thank you for replying...sincerely...you guys do a great service.
> Zorro

I'm not certain how comprehensive the docs on the web are, but just to
clarify things...

'fink selfupdate-cvs' is just a command that causes Fink to update the
packages from the SourceForge CVS repository. You do not need to run the
'cvs' commands you mentioned above, nor the './inject.pl' script, as the
commands are run by 'fink selfupdate-cvs', and the cvs checkout is performed
so that the packages do not have to be 'injected' into the Fink repository
under /sw/fink (in normal circumstances... You may have installed Fink under
a different prefix to /sw).

By running 'fink selfupdate-cvs', you don't have to make any temporary
directory, or run the './inject.pl' script. All you have to do is configure
'fink selfupdate-cvs' the first time you run it, and then you can run this
command from anywhere in the filesystem to update your Fink repository with
the one in CVS.

Hope this clears things up...