XFree86 was working very well, but suddenly I can't get it to launch.
I get the following output in Terminal.app:

[cube:~] kwh% startx -- -quartz

2002-05-04 07:54:36.790 XDarwin[438]
XDarwin 1.1
Running in parallel with Mac OS X Quartz window server.

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 18 January 2002
If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is
newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Darwin
Using keymapping provided in /System/Library/Keyboards/USA.keymapping.
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
Display mode: Rootless Quartz
Screen 0 added: 1024x747 @ (0,21)
Screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
AUDIT: Sat May 4 07:54:51 2002: 438 XDarwin: client 1 rejected from local host
Xlib: No protocol specified

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
AUDIT: Sat May 4 07:54:53 2002: 438 XDarwin: client 1 rejected from local host
Xlib: No protocol specified

..
AUDIT: Sat May 4 07:54:55 2002: 438 XDarwin: client 1 rejected from local host
Xlib: No protocol specified

===========
The last several lines are repeated many, many times, and it finally
gives up and dies completely:

..
giving up.
xinit: unable to connect to X server

waiting for X server to shut down ..........

xinit: X server slow to shut down, sending KILL signal.

xinit: Server error.

===========
The variant of XDarwin that comes with OroborOSX still works
correctly. I had made a few recent changes on my system, but I put
them back to the way they were with no improvement (changed hostname,
enabled X forwarding in /etc/sshd_config). I can't recall any other
changes I made (I should be keeping a log of these things).

There is no relevant info in the console log or system log.

This smells like some sort of configuration foul up, but I haven't
got a clue where to look.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Kevin