Kevin:  You might try blowing away the .Xauthority file in your home
directory, then launch it again.

-Jeff

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Kevin Horton wrote:

> XFree86 was working very well, but suddenly I can't get it to launch.
> I get the following output in Terminal.app:
>
> [cube:~] kwh% startx -- -quartz
>
> 2002-05-04 07:54:36.790 XDarwin[438]
> XDarwin 1.1
> Running in parallel with Mac OS X Quartz window server.
>
> XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
> Release Date: 18 January 2002
> If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is
> newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
> reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
> Operating System: Darwin
> Using keymapping provided in /System/Library/Keyboards/USA.keymapping.
> _XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
> Display mode: Rootless Quartz
> Screen 0 added: 1024x747 @ (0,21)
> Screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
> AUDIT: Sat May 4 07:54:51 2002: 438 XDarwin: client 1 rejected from local host
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>

> waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
> AUDIT: Sat May 4 07:54:53 2002: 438 XDarwin: client 1 rejected from local host
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> ..
> AUDIT: Sat May 4 07:54:55 2002: 438 XDarwin: client 1 rejected from local host
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>

> ===========
> The last several lines are repeated many, many times, and it finally
> gives up and dies completely:
>
> ..
> giving up.
> xinit: unable to connect to X server
>
> waiting for X server to shut down ..........
>
> xinit: X server slow to shut down, sending KILL signal.
>
> xinit: Server error.
>

> ===========
> The variant of XDarwin that comes with OroborOSX still works
> correctly. I had made a few recent changes on my system, but I put
> them back to the way they were with no improvement (changed hostname,
> enabled X forwarding in /etc/sshd_config). I can't recall any other
> changes I made (I should be keeping a log of these things).
>
> There is no relevant info in the console log or system log.
>
> This smells like some sort of configuration foul up, but I haven't
> got a clue where to look.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/CDC1        Email  : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
325 Broadway                Web    : www.cdc.noaa.gov/~jsw
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-124