I'm new to fink and the fink list, have read the cautions about not
asking questions related to MacOS 10.2, and hope this question is not
out of bounds.

First, my thanks for everyone who worked on this excellent tool.  This
is my first Mac after 14 years with SunOS and Solaris, and the ease of
use of this package is remarkable.

But ... I'm having a devilish time installing LyX on a 10.2 system.
The xforms package, which is required, bombs in unpacking.  I read one
WWW page that recommended editing the info file to comment out the http
entry and uncomment the ftp entry -- which points it directly to the
xforms home page.  With that change it bombs out with an unpacking
error saying the tar file is corrupt.    I then fetched and installed
xforms outside of fink, and tried lyx.  The version on the fink archive
fails to compile on MacOS 10.2, perhaps because of some compiler
problems with gcc-3.1.  I then tried building LyX-1.2.1 from source.  I
can compile up to the final link, when the linker protests one module
or function.  (I also tried the older versions of LyX on the fink site
and LyX-1.2.0 -- all of which built easily on our Solaris boxes -- but
found no joy on the Mac).

I'm desperate for LyX on this box, and would welcome suggestions.
Thanks,

Ronald Florence                 www.18james.com