On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 02:45 PM, Jan de Leeuw wrote:

> More generally, for some things (emacs, python, ruby, R, tcl/tk)
> there are better (more up-to-date, better tested) solutions than those
> provided by fink, but they are usually more work and harder to find.

Actually I would suggest that downloading a random bleeding-edge
package from a web site (or CVS!) is less likely to be "better tested"
than a fink package that has spent many weeks in the "unstable" tree
before moving over to the "Stable" tree. Are you really suggesting an
unreleased version checked out from gnu CVS is more stable? Who knows
what bugs lurk? The "out of date" is usually rapidly fixed by emailing
the maintainer, though of course it goes in the unstable tree first,
where it is tested for a while. If there is anything fink has, it is
good testing.

The main problem with fink is beyond its control, that is we depend on
external URLs for downloading most packages, which break by design.
Hopefully that will change someday.

The jaguar compilation and runtime issues surely can't be blamed on
fink, either. :) It's not our fault Apple broke the default TERMCAP,
that apple broke "man -C" in jaguar, or that apple was the first OS on
the planet to switch to GCC3 (and a buggy prerelease of gcc3, at that).
If you compile the command-line emacs yourself you will have the same
problems - the carbon emacs you suggest using (obviously) does not use
ncurses.

Fernando wrote:
> This will not work unless makeinfo from texinfo 4.2 is available on
> your
> binary search path. The version from fink is too old.

Why not email the maintainer and ask him to update the package to 4.2?
I bet he would do it within a day.

-Ben