Peter: Try setting the DISPLAY variable before invoking gnuplot (if you
are running it in the terminal).

-Jeff

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Peter Lichtner wrote:

> I have XFree 86 4.2.0.1 installed from XonX. I did not install it from
> fink because I only have a slow modem connection at home.
> ...Peter
>

> On Saturday, Nov 2, 2002, at 14:54 America/Denver, Derek Homeier wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, November 2, 2002, at 04:19  PM, Peter Lichtner wrote:
> >
> >>  noticed that my PowerBook has the same problem---but it is using the
> >> lastest version of fink and gnuplot (running MacOSX 10.2.1)
> >>
> >> [localhost:~] peterlichtner% fink --version
> >> Package manager version: 0.11.0
> >> Distribution version: 0.4.9.cvs
> >>
> >> and gnuplot 3.8h.0-8.
> >>
> >> I get:
> >>
> >> gnuplot> set term x11
> >>                   ^
> >>          unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal'
> >> for a list
> >>
> > Using the exact same version of gnuplot here, and it even defaults to
> > terminal x11 when only DISPLAY is set (i.e. directly calling
> > 'gnuplotx' and not having GNUTERM set).
> > Which xfree86 packages did you have installed when building gnuplot --
> > could it be that some development headers are now missing from
> > xfree86-base-shlibs that would be needed to compile x11 support in? I
> > noticed xfree86 is actually not required for the build, though it
> > would normally be safe to assume anyone who wants to use in in Xwindow
> > would have xfree86 installed at compile time. Maybe the splitoff of
> > xfree86-base-shlibs has caused some issues here.
> >
> >                                                             Derek

Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/CDC1        FAX   : (303)497-6449
325 Broadway                Web   : http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/~jsw
Boulder, CO, USA 80305-3328 Office: Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-124