I've previously posted on this sound failure with no resolution.  I built
xmms as a dependency for kopete-3.2.0.22.  I've since rebuilt all of
esound, audiofile, arts, and xmms (what I thought might be the relevant
packages) without any improvement.

The sound failure is also seen when starting KDE-3.2 with the following
error:

Informational Artsmessage
Sound server informational message
Error while initializing the sound driver:
couldn't auto detect which audio I/O to use
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
[OK]

Selecting the Enlightened Sound Daemon in ControlCenter/Sound did not fix
this as previously suggested.

Package manager version: 0.19.0
Distribution version: 0.6.2.cvs
10.3.2
XDarwin4.4RC2

Hanspeter

--
I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed into me... unless
they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth. -- Fry