On Aug 19, 2005, at 3:06 AM, Clemence Magnien wrote:

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 10:24:35AM -0400, Alexander K. Hansen wrote:

Please report your experiences (good and bad) with 0.24.9.  We'd like
to move this one over to stable as soon as possible.

Hi,

following this message I went and updated fink and ran 'fink update- all',
which I had not done for a looong time.
It claimed it needed to update or install 164 packages (and 43 additional
packages).
After a couple of hours the compilation stopped on the e-sound package
with the following error:

<snip beginning where all seemed to happen normally>
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
--- Checking to see which audio header files your system uses.
--- Most of these checks should fail. Do not be alarmed.
checking soundcard.h usability... no
checking soundcard.h presence... no
checking for soundcard.h... no
checking sys/soundcard.h usability... no
checking sys/soundcard.h presence... no
checking for sys/soundcard.h... no
checking machine/soundcard.h usability... no
checking machine/soundcard.h presence... no
checking for machine/soundcard.h... no
checking sys/audio.h usability... no
checking sys/audio.h presence... no
checking for sys/audio.h... no
checking sys/audioio.h usability... no
checking sys/audioio.h presence... no
checking for sys/audioio.h... no
checking sys/audio.io.h usability... no
checking sys/audio.io.h presence... no
checking for sys/audio.io.h... no
checking sun/audioio.h usability... no
checking sun/audioio.h presence... no
checking for sun/audioio.h... no
checking dmedia/audio.h usability... no
checking dmedia/audio.h presence... no
checking for dmedia/audio.h... no
checking sys/soundlib.h usability... no
checking sys/soundlib.h presence... no
checking for sys/soundlib.h... no
checking sys/asoundlib.h usability... no
checking sys/asoundlib.h presence... no
checking for sys/asoundlib.h... no
checking alsa/asoundlib.h usability... no
checking alsa/asoundlib.h presence... no
checking for alsa/asoundlib.h... no
checking CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h usability... no
checking CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h presence... no
checking for CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h... no
checking mme/mme_api.h usability... no
checking mme/mme_api.h presence... no
checking for mme/mme_api.h... no
configure: error: Could not find a support sound driver
### execution of LD_TWOLEVEL_NAMESPACE=1 failed, exit code 1
Removing build lock...
/sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait -r fink-buildlock-esound-0.2.35-9
(Reading database ... 107083 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing fink-buildlock-esound-0.2.35-9 ...
Failed: phase compiling: esound-0.2.35-9 failed

I thought this was an esound problem and not a fink problem,

And you're right. ;-) (I was soliciting feedback on the "fink" command itself.

so I updated other packages myself. So far I have successfully
updated firefox and kdelibs3-ssl, and I just launched an update
of mozilla.

I will keep on installing packages not depending on e-sound by
hand, but in case you want a report on a complete run of fink update-all,
is there a way to go around the problem with e-sound?

I'm using mac os 10.3.9.
$ fink --version
Package manager version: 0.24.9
Distribution version: 0.7.2.rsync

Cheers,
Clemence

PS : I'd like to thank all the people working on fink for their
great job. Without fink, I'd be running a DELL laptop under linux
and would still be trying to figure out how to configure my soundcard,
and life would not be quite as easy as it is now.

On this computer, CoreAudio.h was installed by  CoreAudioSDK.pkg:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/Headers/ CoreAudio.h

There are a couple of symlinks that need to be set for this to work:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Headers -> Versions/ Current/Headers

-and-

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/Current -> A.

See if any/all of these are missing.

--
Alexander Hansen
Fink Documentarian