On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Bruno Martin wrote:

I was the writer of the original thread concerning unison problem and, for me, there was no improvement. Of course I do have some ISO 8859-1 characters in my filenames. And yes, it seems that the Glib (even the newest one) has problems with this, since unison works fine in text-only mode. I read the list and I agree if one could propose two versions of unison as for some other packages.

I upgraded one of my machines to Tiger: unison-2.13 is available under 10.4-transitional, and it builds several versions of unison and installs all of them at once (nice). (Takes a while to install, 123 dependencies to install first, and yes, I have the rogue gnome-vfs2-ssl, see other thread, it doesn't seem to matter on my setup...)

I then did the following:

1. copied the unison-2.13-x11 binary to my 10.3.9 machine and verified that it runs OK (including the first gui pane).

2. synced the two archives I tried earlier in this thread, running the unison-2.13-x11 gui on the 10.4.2 machine: both worked without any hitches, so for me the glib2 error is gone in this version on 10.4.2.

[Note that "servercmd = bin/unison-2.13-x11" in the *.prf files is useful here (if you put unison-2.13-x11 in ~/bin).]

I cannot test the unison-2.13-x11 gui any further on 10.3.9 for the moment as my 10.4.2 machine is not visible on the Internet. I will try tomorrow to a linux machine (which may throw up unrelated errors so may not be a good test).

Don't know how you get unison-2.13 if you don't have Tiger though...

-- Viv