Andrew, I am replying to the list, too, because direct mail might not
arrive; your mail server refused an erlier message from me with some
harsh words about my ISP.

Andrew Hartung wrote:
p[
> How do I update the Source-MD5 line?

The simplest way is to not change this line at first and to try building
the package. It will fail because of the wrong MD5, but it will tell you
the correct value which you can then put into the *.info file.

But anyway, all this might not be useful, see below.

>> it builds without problem. You can even remove the Patch: field.
>
> Gourmet builds or py-gtk builds?

This was about pygtk. But actually, Alex was right: the version of
pygtk2 in Fink (2.6.3) is largely sufficient for gourmet, and building a
newer version of pygtk does not help with your problem. Quite the
opposite: The one I built (2.8.6) did not work correctly, there were
some parts missing. I don't know if this was a problem with my build or
if they moved things around to other places in the new version. I would
recommend to stay with 2.6.3 right now.

Now to gourmet: Until an hour ago, I did not know what it was, but I
have it running now. So it is actually not so difficult, and you should
be able to make a Fink package out of it without too much trouble. There
are two difficulties I have seen:

1. It wants the metakit python module, and there is no Fink package for
this yet. But making one should not be too difficult either. It is a
small project, and I got it to compile with only one little change: It
compiles its python module as Mk4py.dylib which is wrong, it needs to be
Mk4py.so. So one has to change that name and also a compiler flag
"-dynamiclib" to "-bundle".

2. The failed test

> which gives me errors with PyGTK not being
> newer than 2.3.9

comes from a different problem than what it claims. The error message is
bogus; it is not the version of pygtk that is wrong, it is the code that
reads the version number that fails. In the test, the setup.py script runs

import gtk

and this, it appears, fails if X11 is not running and the DISPLAY
environment variable set. For something to be done inside a Fink
package, this is very bad, and I don't know how to circumvent it, short
of pulling out this test from the setup.py script.

Altogether I would say making Fink packages for metakit and for gourmet
should be a relatively easy job and I wish you good luck with it.

--
Martin