On 04/11/2009, at 16:27, Nathaniel Echols wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Jack Howarth
> <howa...@bromo.med.uc.edu>wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind that not all source packages support
>> a parallel make. If I recall correctly, openmotif for
>> example has issues. It would be better to encourage
>> package maintainers to simply enable the parallel
>> make in their info files by using something like...
>>
>> num_cpu=$(echo `sysctl -n hw.ncpu`)
>> make -j $num_cpu
>
> Automatically using every CPU as a default behavior is fine (I'm
> adding
> something similar at work for installers we distribute), but it's
> obnoxious
> to be unable to override this, and that code snippet has this
> problem.  It
> isn't at all clear to me where the instruction is coming from in the
> current
> setup - I looked at the code in /sw/lib/perl5/Fink and the only
> lines that
> call 'make' do so either with '-j1' or no extra flags, and I didn't
> see
> anything else setting MAKEFLAGS.  So are individual packages doing
> this
> already, or has GNU make changed to parallelize automatically, or am I
> missing something?  Any mechanism for setting the max. # of CPUs is
> fine -
> config file, command-line argument, environment variable - would be
> acceptable.
Fink itself does not set -j in MAKEFLAGS because, as Jack has
explained, parallel make is not supported by every package. Fink does
use -j1 in make install, though. Packagers are free to test -j in
their packages and enable it via SetMAKEFLAGS in package descriptions.
It is also possible that some packages enable -j by default without
the intervention or knowledge of the package maintainer.

In summary, building with make -j is currently a package dependent
feature and, if the maintainer intentionally enabled it, the package
description (.info) file or patch (.patch) file will tell you that.
Are you seeing this behaviour in every package or only a few of them?

Cheers,

--
monipol
http://finkers.wordpress.com

Submitting a Fink bug report? Read this:
http://www.finkproject.org/doc/netiquette/index.php
http://finkers.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/bug-reports/