On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 11:55:10AM -0700, Nathaniel Echols wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:43 AM, monipol <moni...@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > Fink itself does not set -j in MAKEFLAGS because, as Jack has explained,
> > parallel make is not supported by every package. Fink does use -j1 in make
> > install, though. Packagers are free to test -j in their packages and enable
> > it via SetMAKEFLAGS in package descriptions. It is also possible that some
> > packages enable -j by default without the intervention or knowledge of the
> > package maintainer.
> >
> > In summary, building with make -j is currently a package dependent feature
> > and, if the maintainer intentionally enabled it, the package description
> > (.info) file or patch (.patch) file will tell you that. Are you seeing this
> > behaviour in every package or only a few of them?
> >

> I don't think it's every package, but I know for sure that gcc44 does this.

Fink has an internal setting to allow propagation of the MAKEFLAGS
shell environment variable into the build process (fink usually blanks
this field as part of its environment-consistency policy). That way a
user can decide what to do, but has to do it explicitly (and with
knowledge that some packages may have build problems (but if they are
reported, those packages can expliticly re-set -j1)). There's info on
Fink Wiki I think.

dan

--
Daniel Macks