On Sat, June 19, 2010 17:18, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> Try "apt-cache policy ffmpeg" (either with Fink or Debian).

Thanks. According to this, ffmpeg 0.6 is running on my office computer
while 0.4.2 from Fink.

> It depends on what you need.  If you don't need the functionality from
> bash-4, then you may not notice the difference.

In particular, I am missing for example the seq command for easy renaming
of a bunch of files. I got the tip that an update to bash 4.0 might help.
However, even after this update the bash doesn't seem to be active now
(the prompt is still labelled "bash 3.2" and seq is still missing.
Probably I have to update some initialization, either /sw/bin/init.sh
(which is still of an older age, thus unchanged despite installation of
bash 4.0) or .profile or .bashrc. Or did I miss some important component
here (i.e. just installing bash via Fink Commander isn't enough)?

Best wishes,

Ingo
Ingo Thies
Argelander-Institut fuer Astronomie (AIfA)
Sternwarte, University of Bonn
Auf dem Huegel 71, D-53121 Bonn, Germany
Tel : +49 (0)228 73-3659
Mail: ith...@astro.uni-bonn.de