On 4/28/11 2:56 PM, Eduardo Pestana wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Alexander Hansen
> <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com <mailto:alexanderk.han...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 4/28/11 2:32 PM, Eduardo Pestana wrote:
>> Dear All,
>
>> After I updated a 2GHz Intel Core Duo iMac from 10.5.8 to 10.6.7
>> the X11 windows cannot be moved or resized : they don't have the
> "Drag Bar".
>
>> This 10.5.8-->10.6.7 update was done using  a 10.6 (10A432) DVD and
>> a 10.6.7 combo-update.
>
>> I did the same 10.5.8-->10.6.7 update to a MacBookPro17 using first
>> a 10.6.3 DVD and the 10.6.7 combo-update. Here everything was ok.
>
>> Could the DVD version be the problem?
>> Could you please help me?
>
>> Best regards,
>
>> Eduardo Pestana
>

> That's a classic symptom of X11 not running a window manager.  Were you
> using Apple's window manager or one from Fink?  If you had had Xquartz >
> 2.3.3.2 installed on the iMac under 10.5  it's possible that your window
> manager isn't running because of libraries getting downgraded.
>
> Start X11 and check the console log via the Console program in
> /Applications/Utilities to see if there's any information there.
>
> I don't think it's the DVD, because I upgraded my 10.5.8 system with a
> 10.6 DVD (initial release) and didn't have any problems--though I did a
> clean Fink install because I had had Xquartz installed and I knew I'd
> have to do a ton of painful rebuilding anyway.

> Dear Alexander,

> I forgot to say  that, in both cases, I also did a clean fink install
> for the
> same reason. I had XQuartz 2.5.0.

> Please help me here, How do I start X11?  It always starts by itself when
> I invoke, for example, gnuplot.

> Which log do I have to look for?

> All the best, and thanks
> Eduardo Pestana

Make sure X11 is closed and then do one of:

"startx" from your terminal window
"open -a X11" from your terminal window
Run the X11 application via double-click from /Applications/Utilities

(all wind up doing the same thing)

Then look at the Console Messages (under Database Searches)

- --
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison
http://finkakh.wordpress.com/