On 4/26/14, 11:54 AM, Stefan Bruda wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At 11:22 -0700 on 2014-4-26 Alexander Hansen wrote:
>   >
>   > On 4/26/14, 11:13 AM, sd-finker wrote:
>   > > fink checks the version of X11 (Xquartz) as part of its virtual package
>   > > system.  To understand the cause better we would need to know:
>   > >
>   > > 1)  Do you in fact have Xquartz installed?
>   > >
>   > > 2a)  If yes, is it a current release version or a developer beta?
>   > >
>   > > 2b)  If no, and you've been closing the "download this" window, this is
>   > > the expected behavior.
>   >
>   > We prefer that people _don't_ use attachments, because they're harder to
>   > handle in this format.
>   >
>   > According to your attachment, you have the right version of at least the
>   > display server for Xquartz--though you may not have the full X11 system.
>   >   One thing that fink checks for is 'xterm'.  What do you get if you run
>   > "man xterm" at the command line?
>
> I don't know if this is the same issue I had, but when I upgraded
> (in-place) from Mac OS 10.8 to 10.9 I had to reinstall Xquartz.  The
> system did prompt for such but the automated installation process did
> not work for me for some reason or another (I don't quite remember
> what was it) so I ended up re-downloading from the usual
> <https://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing> and installing the package
> thus obtained.  Everything has been working as expected ever after.
> It may be worth trying such a reinstall.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan

Sorry about the "man xterm" thing.  That was the original method by
which we checked versions--but now that I've had my coffee I recall that
it doesn't actually work with recent X11 versions.

One other thing to look at "ls -l /usr/X11 /usr/X11R6". If that doesn't
give you

$ ls -l /usr/X11 /usr/X11R6
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8 Mar  3 11:29 /usr/X11 -> /opt/X11
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8 Mar  3 11:29 /usr/X11R6 -> /opt/X11

then you may need to create those links yourself:

sudo ln -s /opt/X11 /usr/X11
sudo ln -s /opt/X11 /usr/X11R6

Fink currently requires the presence of those symlinks for X11 detection
to work properly, in part because we still support OS X versions where
Xquartz is not the official X11 option.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison