On 2015 Jan 27, at 7:45 PM, Jack Howarth <howarth.at.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

>      I am surprised that these users aren't being offered Xcode 5.1.1
> in Software Update

<snip>

        Believe me, it's not that it wasn't offered, it was an update that was
ignored due to frustration with the size of the bloatware on offer.
Furthermore, Xcode 5 is no longer available through the App Store.  I did now
download the 5.1.1 version from the Developer web site [over five hours] and am
currently waiting on the command line tools.

>     The appropriate Command Line Tools should be installed by executing...
>
> xcode-select --install

        On this version, that gets me:

$ xcode-select --install
xcode-select: Error: unknown command option '--install'.

        This is another frustrating facet of Xcode, in that the powers that be
have repeatedly changed how this stuff works.  On this version, the 'correct'
way to install the command-line tools is Xcode Preferences -> Downloads ->
Components.  Or just skip Xcode and directly get the tools from the web.  [Am i
right in assuming that the command-line tools should work standalone?]

sent from Mountain Lion

Mal: "Just get us on the ground!"

Wash: "That part will happen pretty definitely!"