On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 2:11 AM, Frederic Durodie <
frederic.duro...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Dear FiPy users and developers,
>
> could you help me with how to implement a thermal contact, hc
> [W/(m^2.K)], between two regions : so there is like a discontinuity in
> the temperature between the two regions.
>
> In some cases I could implement it as a thin layer, dx [m], with a given
> thermal diffusion coefficient, lambda [W/(m.K)], such that hc =
> lambda/dx.
>
> However in some cases this distords the geometry somewhat and moreover
> the results seem to depend rather strongly on the details of the mesh.
> So, I was wondering if that contact could be included somehow in a sort
> of BC.
>
> In the example below I have a thermal contact of hc = 1 kW/(m^2.K)
> between two slabs (of length L/2) of good thermal conductors K = 200
> W/(m.K). On side is held to 0 C while on the other side a power flux Ps
> = 1 kW/m^2 is applied.
>
> The temperature jump theoretically should be Ps/hc = 1 K (deg C) for
> stationary conditions.

I believe the correct diffusion coefficient across the face that
approximates a thin layer is

   D = Kc * (1 / (epsilon + (1 - epsilon) * D_ratio))

where

   D_ratio = Kc / 2 * (1 / K1 + 1 / K2)

and

   epsilon = dx / cellSize

I implemented this for a 1D problem and it seems to give the correct jump
(see http://pastebin.com/qB0XgceL). I set K1 and K2 to just be K in the
script to simplify.

Cheers

--