On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Jane Hung <jyh...@mit.edu> wrote:
> OK, I can write the equations with grad instead of faceGrad, but it doesn't
> seem like the equations can be solved with what I've tried. I tried to use
> eq.solve, which gives a TypeError,

This could be a FiPy issue if it works with "sweep" and not with
"solve". I got the same error. I'll look into that, but you should
just use "sweep" anyway. They do the same thing, just that "sweep"
returns the residual.

> and to use sweep, which does not converge
> in the while loop. I've linked the 2 versions of my code:
> sweep version http://pastebin.com/5aH5DDKz

I tried this and the residuals decrease quite a bit. Would you expect
the residuals to approach zero at every time step? This seldom happens
with non-linear equations. The absolute magnitude of the residuals
isn't really important, but how much they decrease and whether the
error also decreases.

> solve version http://pastebin.com/sBQj7knw

I created a notebook with some pointers about how to reformulate the
equations so they are mostly implicit. I believe this is possible with
your equations.

    http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/wd15/8043375

--
Daniel Wheeler