I tried to start with a simpler system, and it seems like I get the same
problem if I split up the equations at all.

Anyway, I started with a 1 equation system http://pastebin.com/X5tT1RUB and
would like to see the phase separation, but after time ~2000 (see the video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nocwmh8x1f5b6rw/1_order_parameter.mp4), the error
increases a lot. I'd like to see what happens after more iterations, so is
there a way to keep the error small?

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Daniel Wheeler
<daniel.wheel...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Jane Hung <jyh...@mit.edu> wrote:
> > I'm also getting RuntimeError. To get over this, is there a way to
> represent
> > the system a different way or does the system itself too complicated?
>
> You can also represent the system in an entirely uncoupled manner.
> That would reduce the size of memory and provide an alternative
> result. If the time step is small enough the uncoupled and coupled
> formulations should be the same.
>
> > What do you mean by know the answer?
>
> I just meant some analytical result or behavior such as bounded values
> or conserved quantities. A demonstrable logical inconsistency makes
> debugging easier.
>
> > I have an idea of what the time
> > evolution of the variables should look like in the 2D case, but I don't
> have
> > an analytical solution.
>
> That helps. Could you hold some of the variables fixed (by changing
> coefficient values or time steps for some equations) and then evolve
> only one or two of the equations for example.
>
> --
> Daniel Wheeler

Jane Hung
Graduate Student | MIT Department of Chemical Engineering
Hatton Lab 66-325 | Doyle Lab E18-509
jyh...@mit.edu | 415.952.6325