Jonathan,

I think I got the error because I was trying to do a.value = b*c, where b
and c are CellVariables. b * c become an operator variable, which cannot
be assigned to the LHS (numpy arrary).
a = b*c should work if all of them are CellVariables.

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Rose

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Guyer, Jonathan E. Dr. <
jonathan.gu...@nist.gov> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2014, at 5:11 PM, yuan wang <rose.w...@tufts.edu> wrote:
>
> > All the operations made on CellVariables will be stored as
> binaryOperatorVariables. The operation is not actually conducted, until the
> result is requested by numpy.array() or .value operation. It's like the
> operations are just doing book keeping of the account, but the
> numpy.array() method encash the final values.  Even though, the operators
> will work the same on CellVariables as on numpy arrays.
>
> As Daniel said, this is an accurate understanding.
>

> > I wrote something like a = b*c, but it does not work. An error pop up
> saying, "TypeError: The value of an `_OperatorVariable` cannot be assigned"
>
> Can you tell us exactly what you did to generate this error? It is not
> possible to have gotten this error from writing "a = b*c", no matter what
> a, b, or c are. Python syntax just doesn't work that way.
>
> I believe you got the error, and if you tell us exactly what code you
> wrote and what you are trying to accomplish, it will help us direct you to
> the right expression.

Yuan (Rose) Wang
PhD Candidate, Tufts University
Cellphone: 617-699-8006