On Feb 1, 2014, at 3:28 PM, yuan wang <rose.w...@tufts.edu> wrote:

> I remember that Crank-Nicolson is not suitable for non-linear pdes, unless
> the equations are linearized. So, with the sweeping method (that the
> equations are solved iteratively), does it mean that the systems of equations
> are linearized? I'm thinking whether Crank-Nicolson scheme could be used in
> my case with coupled reactions. Thanks a lot!

Sweeping the equations does involve linearization, but I simply wouldn't worry
about Crank-Nicolson right now. Get your solution working stably at all with
FiPy's fully implicit terms, and then you can worry about pushing accuracy and
convergence rate. Other than in the first diffusion example, Daniel and I don't
ever go to the extra trouble of setting up CR equations.