On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Robert R. Howell <rhow...@uwyo.edu> wrote:

> Hi Daniel
>
> Thanks for the very quick reply.
>
> I looked at the skfmm code again and unfortunately I think the array
> nature of dx in the travel_time() function is just to pass different
> grid sizes in the (dx, dy, dz) directions when you have a
> multidimensional grid.  I don't believe it allows the grid to change
> spacing along any given direction.  The most relevant section of the
> code to demonstrate that comes in the pre_process function within
> pffm.py, where it rearranges the input parameters before passing them to
> the c code.  It takes the input dx and does the following:
>
>      if type(dx) is float or type(dx) is int:
>          dx = [dx for x in range(len(phi.shape))]
>      dx = np.array(dx)

You're completely right. It doesn't support non-uniform grids. I just
looked through the LSMLIB code and that doesn't either. The only way to
deal with this then is to fix either Scikit-fmm or LSMLIB. My hunch is that
Scikit-fmm is probably less work, but I might give it a go with both if I
do this and see what sort of quagmire I end up generating (unless you want
to give it a shot). Anyway, this will be more work than I thought so I
can't give you a time frame on implementing this. Sorry to raise false
hopes. I do think that this is an important issue that impacts my own
research so I am motivated to deal with it.

--
Daniel Wheeler